Pool Pro of Long Island
631-885-5621 or 516-698-2092
Do you know if you need a Scuba Diver or a pressure test of the plumbing? If unsure if the Leak is in the pipes or in the pool, there is an important test that we ask you to do - Determine if you loose more water with the pump running or with the pump off? Or is the water loss the same with the pump on/off?
Once we determine if the water loss is more with the pump running or more with the pump off then generally we know weather a diver is needed for an interior inspection/detection or a pressure test is needed for the piping underground.
Pressure test of the Pipes if:
Lose MORE with Pump OFF - the Leak is typically in the SUCTION side of the pool pipes.
Lose MORE with Pump ON - the Leak is typically in the PRESSURE side of the plumbing.
You need a diver/or liner check if:
THE SAME water loss with pump on & off - usually suggests the Leak is inside the pool.
Our Services for Long Island
- Locate underground pipe leaks with our advanced electronic leak detection equipment
- Repair vinyl liner swimming pool holes & tears underwater with vinyl patches & glue
- Test & repair minor cracks underwater in gunite and fiberglass swimming pools
- Can usually locate pool pipe plumbing leaks under brick, concrete patios & dirt within 2 ft.
- Scuba Dive Swimming pools to repair vinyl liner holes, tears and seam damage
- Test light conduit leaks (behind the fixture) & repair underwater with pool putty/epoxy
- Dye Test suspect vinyl liner gaskets at stairs, skimmer & return faceplates & repair those leaks
- Plug main drain Leaks if they are under the pool or locate those repairable Leaks (shallow leaks)
We find Inside the Pool Leaks
Pool Leaks inside a Pool can almost always be repaired underwater. Whether it is in a Vinyl Liner Pool, Gunite or Fiberglass Pool, we typically can diagnose & stop the Leak. Holes or tears in liners or minor cracks in Gunite or Fiberglass Pools can typically repaired by a certified diver in short time. Exceptions might be if you have been losing water for a long time, which could indicate more than 1 leak problem. For example Vinyl Liner could have extensive termite damage or a Gunite Pools could have extensive structural damage, in which case it might be hard to offer any sort of leak free warranty – only that we could hope to slow down the leak for the remainder of the Pool Season. Also light Leaks behind the fixture at the conduit/niche or cracks in the housing if it is a plastic can be repaired with underwater epoxy.
1) Vinyl Liner Pool Leaks can be patched in many cases with the same Liner pattern, however due to fading or discoloration there usually isn’t always a perfect match. Whether it is a puncture, tear, holes or termite damage we can typically fix it. Leaks are more typical in the corners or coves (where the floor meets the wall) of the pool. We also can dye test gaskets at the stairs, returns or skimmer faceplates or any other areas that look suspect & repair those leaks with leak sealer. If your Pool has been Leaking a long time that could indicate there is extensive damage or many leaks – every year we run across several pools that have 100 holes or more. In those cases we hopefully can help slow down the leak for the season. At Pool Pro of Long Island we don’t sell or install liners – therefore it is not in our interest to recommend a new vinyl liner, but to repair it. Additionally, rarely do Vinyl Liner seams fail due to defects & therefore it is quite rare for your liner to be replaced for any sort of warranty issue.
2) Gunite/Concrete Pool Leaks - Most typically these leaks are at the area where the skimmer connects (skimmer throats) to the pool or in some cases where the return pipes (or Jets) come into the Pool penetrations. Also we sometimes see Leaks at the light niche or conduit. We can repair these Leaks as well as small structural cracks underwater with Pool Putty/Epoxy. If however there are large structural cracks, those typically would require a more permanent repair probably necessitating draining the water from the Pool. These structural probably require more then just marble dusting.
We ask our customers to do some tests to help determine whether the Leak is in the pipes or inside the pool. We would like to know if the water loss is more with the pump running or more with pump off or is the water loss the same with the pump on & off?
How we can find Underground Piping Leaks
We can find almost every underground Pipe Leak precisely within 2 ft. with some of the most specialized/advanced electronic Leak Detection Equipment, including Ultrasonic Electronic Detectors & Helium Leak Detectors. If we can't find the Leaks we don’t charge you. With interior Pool Leaks we dive & patch Holes & cracks that Leak underwater.
Generally it is a better idea to take care of the pool leaks when first noticed. Leaks generally get larger over time. If Pool leaks continue for a long time that can lead to pretty significant erosion (especially in leaks inside vinyl liners) leading to possible structure failure, however typically there usually is not a problem even if you had the leak for a while.
Don't if your Swimming Pool has a Leak?
If you suspect a leak & are losing more than ¼” per day, then its probably more than what can be attributed to evaporation.
1) Sinkholes, settlement of the ground, cement patio slab cracking, brick pavers settling, pavement or wood or deck settlement.
2) Cloudy water, constantly adding chemicals or salt imbalance (or dilution due to re-filling) when analyzing pool water
3) Air bubbles in the pump ( or problems priming) typically being brought in by the suction side (main or skimmers) piping & being discharged out the returns (or jets).
4) Wet or soggy areas around the Pool or even at the Equipment pad. (These leaks that are readily visable can be repaired by your general pool service contractor)
5) Your water is colder than it should be because you are always adding more water - possibly with an Auto-water fill.
6) Dimples / divits / damage in a liner getting larger due to the erosion of the ground below a hole or tear in the liner.
7) Increased water bills, Increase in algae buildup
Sometimes extensive water loss can be seen with extensive sunlight &/or wind exposure or even heating the pool (especially if the exterior temperature is much cooler at night for example).
Why use us for Detecting your Pool Leak
1) We are one of a few Long Island companies that only do Pool Leaks. That is why we have become quite skilled at leak locating. Sometimes Leak locating requires lots of practice. We don’t re-pipe, we don’t put in new vinyl liners, nor do we re-finish or refurbish gunite pools. Our interest is in diving your pool & making those underwater repairs or we will pinpoint your underground broken pipes that are causing the leaks.
2) We only charge flat fees not hourly charges. Because we are Pool Leak experts we can afford to charge flat rates – it is not to our interest to run down the clock & build up your bill hourly. If we don’t find the leak we charge you $0, no matter how long we spend looking for the leak.
3) We do on occasion get a few pools every year we don’t get paid, because we didn't identify or pinpoint the Leak source & it gets quite frustrating for us, but it is part of our guarantee.
Servicing Long Island's Nassau & west Suffolk Counties, Dix Hills, Massapequa, Commack, Smithtown, Huntington, Deer Park, West Islip, Levittown, Syosset, Woodbury, Plainview, East Northport, Wantagh, Seaford, Stony Brook, Huntington Station, Greenlawn, Melville, Hauppauge, East Meadow, Hicksville, Setauket, S. Huntington, Nesconset, Massapequa, St. James, Northport, Islip, Farmingdale & surrounding areas